Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Found this recipe in a magazine
- 1 large chicken
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 4 fresh rosemary (you can also use thyme,sage or parsely)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped (capsicums)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 slices bread
- Remove the fat from just inside cavity, and rub chicken with a little salt.
- Pop bay leaf inside.
- Heat oil in large casserole dish, add garlic, herbs, celery, red pepper and freshly ground pepper, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and chicken stock, bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, turning to coat in sauce, cover with a tight fitting lid, and seal edges with a flour and water paste.
- Bake at 180C (350F) for 1 hour.
- Break seal and transfer to a warm platter.
- Grill bread, and serve with chicken so that garlic can be squeezed onto toast and dipped into the juices.
This was great Eve! I love the "double use" of the garlic! I didn't have a large enough casserole dish so I did mine in my roaster (minus the flour seal). I don't have any left overs darn it!