Recipe by Polar Bear
This recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
Top Review by CulinaryExplorer
This was good, but I did have to change a few things to help it better suit our tastes. I added about 2 or more Tablespoons of lemon juice to the pesto mix, as well as some salt, and a little sugar. I also added more seasoning to the chicken, including garlic, lemon pepper, and thyme. Then I served it over some linguine and I wish I would have saved some of the pasta water to thin the pesto for that purpose since it is a rather thick pesto and made the noodles a bit on the dry side. I did add a bit of water but not much since I didn't think to keep the pasta water. It is a good flavor blend, but it just lacks a bit of oomph! I do like that it doesn't call for any parmesan or other forms of dairy since we are a dairy free house. At the table I found I actually wanted even more lemon so squeezed more fresh lemon juice onto my own.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs meaty chicken pieces (breast bhalves, thighls, and drumsticks)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups lemon thyme (if you dont have lemon thyme, use 1 1/§ cup fresh thyme plus 2 teaspoons findly shredded lemon peel)
- 1⁄2 cup salted pistachio nut
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- If desired, skin chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or blender combine lemon thyme and pistachio nuts; cover and process or blend with several on/off turns until finely chopped.
- With procesor or blender running, gradually drizzle in oil, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary.
- Stir in freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium hot coals around a drip pan.
- Test for medium heat above pan.
- Place chicken, bone side down, on a grill rack over drip pan.
- For gas grill place chicken adjacent to heat source.
- Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (instant read thermometer reads 180°C for breasts or 180°C for thighs and drumsticks), turning chicken and brushing with half the pesto during the last 5 minutes of grillling.
- Reserve remaining pesto for another use.
- Serve with lemon wedges.