Recipe by noway
Posted for ZWT6: Middle East. Adapted from Bon Appetit. If you want to use lemon oil, directions are at the end of the recipe. Lemon oil must be made 3 weeks in advance.
- 1 lemon, zest of, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 118.29 ml fresh lemon juice
- 78.07 ml lemon oil or 78.07 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml paprika, preferably hot
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise
- lemon wedge, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the zest, lemon juice, lemon oil, 1 tablespoon of the mint, half the garlic, the paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper with a fork, in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the chicken on the broiler pan and broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and just cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, garnish with the lemon wedges, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon mint and garlic, and serve.
- To make 1 cup lemon oil, put a cup of extra virgin olive oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil in a jar with 3 tablespoons of finely grated lemon zest. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 weeks, shaking occasionally. Pour through a strainer and transfer to a jar. Discard the zest and refrigerate the oil.