Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. I discovered preparing brick chicken while living in South America many years ago and it has been one of my favorites ever since. The combination of the perfectly crisp chicken with the subtle lemon flavored sauce and the vegetables steamed in wine make for a perfect light meal. Many combinations of vegetables and sauces can be substituted, and I have tried alot, but this is my favorite and I always receive great reviews from my guests.
- 1360.77-1814.36 g whole chickens (backbone removed)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 29.58 ml lemon zest
- 44.37 ml fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 large red bell pepper (quartered with stems and seeds removed)
- 236.59 ml cherry tomatoes (halved vertically)
- 1 small zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch slices (8 or 9 slices from the center)
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 236.59 ml white rice, cooked
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken on workarea, skin side up, and flatten breast by pounding gently with a food mallet or pressing firmly. Place chicken on a platter and rub with 1 TBS of oil. Spread the lemon zest and then the rosemary over the chicken. Season with 1 TBS salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and the cayenne. Loosely cover with Reynolds Wrap Foil and let rest at room temperature for 45-50 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, prepare 2 cast iron skillets (or other heavy bottom skillets) and 2 heavy bricks (bricks that can lay side by side in one skillet). Lightly oil the bottom of one skillet with 1 TBS of oil. Double wrap the bricks individually with Reynolds Wrap Foil. Set skillets and bricks aside.
- Cut a single sheet of Reynolds Wrap Foil (about 15 inches long) to enclose the zucchini slices, tomatoes and red pepper. You can also make an individual packet for each guest. Set aside.
- Heat the lightly oiled skillet on the stove over medium heat. Place the chicken, skin side down, in the skillet. Place the other skillet, bottom side down. on top of the chicken and place the bricks in the skillet (for weight),Cook until the skin is crispy (12-15 minutes). Using gloves or hot pads, remove the top skillet with the bricks and with tongs turn the chicken over and then recover with the skillet and bricks and cook for 10 minutes. Continue cooking and turning every 10 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165*F, about 50-60 minutes. Transfer chicken to a carving board, loosely cover with Reynolds Wrap Foil, and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the zucchini slices, topped with the cherry tomatoes and then the red bell pepper in the center of the sheet of aluminum foil. Fold up the sides of the foil. Season the vegetables with a tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Pour the wine along the sides of the vegetables. Enclose and wrap the sides of the foil together forming a enclosed packet. Place on a baking sheet with sides and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the vegetables are steamed.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet in which the chicken was cooked, scraping up the brown bits. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to approximately 3/4 cup. Stir in the cream and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Stir in the white pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Carve the chicken and place on serving plates. Drizzle with the sauce. Divide the vegetables and rice among the plates and serve.