Recipe by Kellie in SLO
One summer on a trip to visit our friends on Vancouver Island, they made this dish for us that they found in a Greek cookbook. It was so incredibly tasty that I had to bring it home with me. My family loves the carrots so much that I always put a few extra in the pan.
Top Review by Chef floWer
This reminds me of a dish my mother makes, the chicken was tender and tasty. I served it with crusty bread otherwise I kept to the recipe. The only thing I forgot to do is garnish it with parsley. Thank you Kellie in SLO
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken quarters
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh basil, chopped (8+ leaves)
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1 package egg noodles, cooked following directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and olive oil in large deep frying pan.
- Add chicken and fry until lightly golden on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onion,carrots and celery to the pan and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the basil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook steadily until all juices have evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer gently, covered, 45 min to 1 hour until tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with noodles.