Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Food & Wine. Serve with mashed potatoes. They say to serve this with a West Coast Pinot Noir.
- 1 lb kale, tough stems discarded, leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1-by- 1/4 -inch matchsticks
- 24 ounces chicken breast halves (skinless, boneless)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb wild mushrooms, such as oyster or 1⁄2 lb chanterelle mushroom, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 3 medium shallots, minced
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock or 2⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Blanch the kale in a large pot of salted water until limp, about 2 minutes.
- Drain well, pressing to extract excess water. In a small bowl, blend the flour and butter until smooth.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonreactive skillet.
- Add the bacon and sauté over high heat until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour the rendered fat into a small bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil and 1 teaspoon of the reserved bacon fat in the skillet. Separate the tenders from the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the breasts to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until brown and crusty on the bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn and cook the other side until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Brown the chicken tenders in another teaspoon of oil.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil and 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, shallots and 2 tablespoons of water, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and cook over high heat, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits, until reduced to a few tablespoons.
- Add the chicken stock and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour paste and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until warmed through. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in any accumulated juices from the chicken.
- Wipe out the skillet and return it to high heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1 more teaspoon of the bacon fat.
- Add the kale, season with salt and pepper and sauté until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved bacon and the lemon juice.
- Arrange the kale on 4 dinner plates. Top with the chicken breasts and mushroom sauce and serve.