Recipe by Impera_Magna
An easy grits and chicken recipe. Found online and posted for Cookgirl! (Passive time is to allow grits to cool)
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Oh my goodness but this is good! Do you know what got my attention as much as the grits? The fresh basil in the salsa! I'm sure you could easily substitute pink/pinto/black beans for the black eyed peas. Added to this cookbook: Book #237257 Thanks, Impera! PS It might help to post the salsa recipe under the ingredients' list. I hadn't noticed the salsa recipe in the directions until fairly recently. A friendly suggestion. fyi
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in grits and cook according to package directions.
- Spoon grits into a greased 9-inch square baking pan; cover and chill until firm.
- Rub chicken breasts with the ground cumin.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, for about 12 minutes, or until brown and fork tender.
- Remove chicken from skillet and drain on paper towels; cover and keep warm.
- Invert baking pan to remove grits. Cut into 4 squares, then cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles.
- In same skillet, heat pan drippings to medium temperature.
- Add grits and sauté, turning once, about 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
- To serve:.
- Cut each chicken breast into slices.
- Place chicken slices from one breast half on each serving plate with 2 grits cakes on the side.
- Spoon Spicy Southern Salsa over the grits cakes.
- Spicy Southern Salsa.
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked and drained.
- 1 cup black-eyed peas, cooked and drained.
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped.
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced.
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions.
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil.
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely minced.
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper.