Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
My new winter food, from Bon Appetit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 3⁄4 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces (1 whole)
- 1 cup shallot, sliced (about 3 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup medium sherry
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 orange, half lengthwise,then each cut into 5 wedges
- 1⁄3 cup green olives in brine (such as picholine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper then add to skillet.
- Cook until skin is crisp and golden brown, about 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium high, drain all but 2 tbsp dripping from skillet.
- Add shallots and stir until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic stir, then add sherry.
- Boil until reduced by half, scraping up brown bits.
- Return chicken, skin side up, to skillet, place orange wedges and olives among chicken pieces.
- Transfer to oven and braise uncovered until chicken is cooked through, abotu 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter, bring sauce to boil over high heat, stir in honey and boil until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour over chicken.