Recipe by Derf
Colourful chicken and bean stirfry.
Top Review by Mirj
Very interesting dish, a combination of Midwestern and Chinese cooking. We were two Americans and two Brits sitting down to dinner. The Americans gobbled this up but the Brits politely picked at their plates. Being American, I had my share and more, but next time I would use more onion and some red pepper flakes for just a bit more flavor.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 lb fresh wax bean, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered for 3 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness; cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- In a large skillet, stirfry chicken in oil for 2 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine constarch and soy sauce until smooth.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving juice; set pinapple aside.
- Stir the juice into the soy sauce mixture; set aside.
- In the skillet, stirfry red pepper and onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, beans, pineapple, salt and ginger.
- Gradually stir in the soy sauce mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with rice.