Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
AKA as "Moo Goo gai pan". Found this recipe about 20 + years ago in a local grocery store flyer. I tweaked it a bit & came up with this.....
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless...about 3/4 lb. each
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1 -2 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 tablespoons corn oil (or canola oil)
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- cooked rice
- Lay each chicken breast flat on the cutting board & slice as thin as possible. (This is much easier if they're slightly frozen OR ask your butcher to do it.).
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken & cornstarch until well coated.
- Add the egg whites, cooking sherry, ginger & 1 teaspoons salt & mix thoroughly.
- Snap off the tips of the snow peas, if need be.
- Have everything within easy reach when ready to cook.
- Heat a 10-12 inches skillet over high heat for 30 seconds.
- Pour in 1 T. cooking oil & swirl around pan & heat for another 30 seconds.
- TURN DOWN HEAT IF OIL STARTS TO SMOKE.
- Add the mushrooms, snow peas & ½ teaspoons salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer the vegetables to a warm platter & set aside.
- Add 3 T. cooking oil to the pan & heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced chicken &stirring constantly, cook for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is firm & white.
- Return the vegetables to the pan & combine with the chicken.
- Serve over hot rice.