Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my college roommates used to make this dish. Fines herbes contains thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, marjoram, and basil. I'm not sure why this recipe calls for additional oregano & marjoram. Serve with hot buttered noodles.
- 4 large chicken breasts, skinned, halved, and boned
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fines herbes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into eight strips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, fine
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- minced fresh parsley
- Wrap 1 pc chicken between 2 pieces of clear plastic wrap; Working from center to edge, pound with a meat mallet to 1/8" thickness; remove plastic wrap, repeat with remaining chix, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter, parsley, fines herbes, oregano& marjoram; using half of the mixture, reserving the other half; dot some on each chicken breast half; place a strip of cheese on each; fold in sides and roll up jelly-roll style; Press edges together to seal; in a med bowl combine egg, H2O, and oil; Roll chicken in flour to coat, dip into the egg mixture; roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Place chicken, seam side down, in a lg baking dish; bake, uncovered, for 20 mins; Meanwhile, melt remaining herb mixture, add wine; After 20 minutes of baking, pour wine mixture over the rolls; bake for 20 minutes more or until chicken is tender (be careful not to overbake).
- Drain, reserving pan juices; serve chicken over hot cooked noodles; garnish with fresh parsley; pass reserved juices with chicken.
I have been making this for years.
I make another half of the butter herb mixture to drizzle on top. And also add 1/2 c wine instead of 1/4.
I do it a bit different. I don't use the egg wash or flour. I brush the them with the melted herb butter then coat with bread crumbs. Then drizzle the remaining butter over them. And add just the wine after 20 min.
But will try adding the butter to the wine next time.
Also Fines Herbes is a combo of
tarragon, chervil, chives and parsley. If I don't have any on hand I sub tarragon.