Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 2009). Prep time does not include chilling chicken overnight. Ras-el-hanout is a Moroccan spice blend which should be used, but the data base does not recognize.
- 6 whole chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup shallot, peeled, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons spices
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- 14 brown turkey figs, halved
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- couscous (prepared per package directions)
- Arrange chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle each side of each leg with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat.
- Place chicken in skillet and sear until golden (5-10 minutes per side) and then transfer chicken to roasting pan, skin side up. Add vegetables (carrots -cloves), 1 teaspoon thkyme, lemon peel, ras-el-hanout, chicken both, wine and remaining oil (3 tablespoons) to skillet and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over the chicken and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover with foil; place in oven and braise for 1 hour or until tender.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to baking sheet; discard garlic. Pour pan juices into a saucepan; spoon off fat from the surface. Boil juices until reduces to 1 3/4 cups; whisking occasionally (15 -20 minutes). Add figs and vinegar; cook until figs are heated (3- 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cooked couscous on a large plate; top with chicken, vegetables and figs. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.
I made this using all broth and no wine or wine vinegar. It came out with very moist and tender chicken and lots of flavor. Ras El Hanout - Moroccan Spice Mix was used here. One serving was all I made and it was generous so there will be plenty to go around for a family. Thanks for sharing ellie.