Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from one of Rachel Ray's cookbooks. It looks like it's difficult, but it's actually very easy.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 lb pancetta, cut into sticks
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into large chunks
- flour, for dredging
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14 -16 dried mission figs, quartered
- 3 ounces dry red wine (1/3 of a bottle)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (4 sprigs)
- 12 -16 ounces gnocchi
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Brown the pancetta in the olive oil, about 3-4 minutes, then remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- After removing pancetta, add the chicken to the same pan. Brown the pieces for a few minutes each side.
- Add the onions, garlic and figs to the pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until only a third of a cup of liquid remains.
- Add the chicken stock, parsley and thyme to the chicken and stir to combine. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the chicken mixture is simmering, cook the gnocchi according to the package directions and drain.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Melt the butter and brown it.
- Add the gnocchi, raise the heat a bit, and lightly brown.
- Season gnocchi with salt, pepper, nutmeg and chives.
- Serve the gnocchi over the chicken and fig mixture and sprinkle with the pancetta.