Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. November 2001. Serve with noodles or rice.
Top Review by Chefette2u
I liked the combination of vegetables, all of my favorites in one pan. Perhaps a little more seasoning would have enhanced this dish even further? I found it rather bland and added a few crushed red pepper flakes as well as a TBS of pesto. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulbs (about 2 small bulbs)
- 2 cups finely chopped zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves or 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge the chicken in breadcrumbs. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add fennel bulb, zucchini, and leek; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and next 6 ingredients (broth through tomatoes).
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to pan; cover and cook 12 minutes or until the chicken is done. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.