Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 2.46 ml salt, divided
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 396.89 g can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 78.07 ml tarragon vinegar
- 2 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 473.18 ml chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 14.79 ml whipping cream
- 2.46 ml sugar
- fresh tarragon sprig (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add fennel; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown.
- Remove from pan. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add broth, vinegar, and 2 tarragon sprigs, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil. Add fennel; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes.
- Add chicken; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and fennel from pan, and keep warm.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, tomato, cream, and sugar to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Serve over chicken and fennel. Garnish with additional tarragon sprigs, if desired.