1/6 Photos of Chicken With Fennel and Red Peppers
Found this in a stack of clippings and can't quite figure out where it came from - New York Times perhaps. The combination of ingredients looks just wonderful to me and I'm keeping it safe here before I lose it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1/2-inch thick crescents
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 large fennel bulb, cut in 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 -3 teaspoons cornstarch
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste0)
- 1Cut chicken into 1/2-inch wide by 2-inch long strips.
- 2Heat oil in a medium, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until white on the outside. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Add onion, red pepper and fennel to the pan. Stir to coat with oil and juices from the chicken. Sauté 2 minutes. Mix in garlic. Cook until onions and fennel are golden, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Return chicken to the pan. Stir in cumin, beans, parsley, 1/4 cup broth, vinegar and salt. Simmer until chicken is white in the center and vegetables are still al dente, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 5With a slotted spoon, transfer food to a bowl and keep warm on the side. Mix cornstarch into the remaining broth until well blended. Stir into the liquid in the pan. Heat to a simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Return chicken mixture to the pan. Stir until mixture is coated with the sauce and heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Serve with rice or roasted potatoes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Fennel and Red Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (290 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 82.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
white wine vinegar