Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 12 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 organic apples, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups apple cider
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 pinch saffron, generous pinch
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and brown on skin side only in a hot, large, deep saucepan. Remove and set aside. Sweat off onion, garlic and fennel in the same pan.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil. Add apple juice and return to a boil. Stir in apples, thyme, bay leaves and saffron.
- Return chicken to the pan. Simmer, cover and cook until chicken is done — approximately 20 minutes — or alternately bake, covered, in a 350°F oven until chicken is done. Season to taste. Serve over rice.
This is a lovely recipe. The flavorings of the fennel, apple, thyme, and saffron come together very nicely. I may add two large pinches of the saffron on the next go for a richer color. I will make this again.
I replaced chicken broth for the apple juice so it made it more savory, but it was absolutely delicious! Served with couscous.