Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs 35 mins
Comfort Food without the heavy calories! from "Cooking Light" magazine (1989)
- 6 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- Place 6 cups water, chicken breasts, mushrooms carrots and onion in a large Dutch oven.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken breasts and let each cool separately.
- Discard skin and bones, cut chicken into bite-size pieces, and add to vegetable mixture.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours.
- Skim fat from broth and discard.
- Stir in poultry seasoning and next 5 ingredients.
- Combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon flour and remaining 1/2 cup of water, stir well.
- Bring chicken mixture to boil, stir in flour mixture.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered 35 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine remaining 1 cup flour and baking powder, add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into boiling broth, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are tender.
This was very good. I added a little more carrots than called for and also added about 1 cup of frozen peas to give it some more vegetables. Had to add a little more flour and corn starch because the flour mixture that you add doesnt make it quite thick enough.
This is very tasty and you feel good about the health factor while having it for dinner. I would recommend that salt be added to the dumplings as once they are cooked it doesn't penetrate and while they had a nice texture they remained bland without any salt. Thank you Dref for a down home dinner that I haven't had in years. I quite enjoyed it.
Very good tasting soup!! It was my first time making dumplings in a soup and they turned out great!! I didn't chill the soup for 8 hours as I had already started making it for dinner when I realized I was supposed to but, it all worked out in the end!! Very good recipe, thanks for posting.