Recipe by Ilysse
There is an Italian recipe I love, made with Lamb, that uses egg this way. I love it and have been wanted to try it with other things. When I saw the list of ingredients for this contest this was the first idea that came to mind. I cooked it for someone, who I thought would hate it, and he LOVED it. Serve with pasta, risotto (my choice), or polenta. As you can tell from the name, my creativity stays in the kitchen.
Top Review by Chef Kate
This is a very good way to prepare the chicken. The spinach and egg/lemon make a lovely sauce. My only criticism is that it lacks 'oomph' -- it needs more than just salt and pepper but something more. After tasting, I added some kalamata olives. Next time, I will add some cumin as well.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, remove skin if you wish
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging, you may need more or less)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, plumped in hot water or 1⁄3 cup broth
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot, plumped with the raisins (chop to the same size as the rasins)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (or to taste)
- 1 (9 ounce) bagof prewashed Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil in a large skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until opaque.
- Add the garlic and saute while doing the next step, don't over brown garlic.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour and add them to the pan.
- Brown chicken turning as needed.
- Pour wine over chicken and deglaze pan.
- Cover and simmer about 1/2 hour.
- Add drained rasins and apricots.
- Simmer on low heat until the chicken begins to pull away from the bone, about another 1/2 hour.
- Uncover and add the spinach, let wilt while stiring into the sauce.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks with lemon juice.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and stir into the sauce until it forms a creamy consistencey (don't cream the spinach, just stir everything together), coating chicken pieces with sauce.
- Serve hot and enjoy!