Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There is an Italian recipe I love, made with Lamb, that uses egg this way. I love it and have been wanted to try it with other things. When I saw the list of ingredients for this contest this was the first idea that came to mind. I cooked it for someone, who I thought would hate it, and he LOVED it. Serve with pasta, risotto (my choice), or polenta. As you can tell from the name, my creativity stays in the kitchen.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, remove skin if you wish
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging, you may need more or less)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, plumped in hot water or 1⁄3 cup broth
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot, plumped with the raisins (chop to the same size as the rasins)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (or to taste)
- 1 (9 ounce) bagof prewashed Baby Spinach
- Place oil in a large skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until opaque.
- Add the garlic and saute while doing the next step, don't over brown garlic.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour and add them to the pan.
- Brown chicken turning as needed.
- Pour wine over chicken and deglaze pan.
- Cover and simmer about 1/2 hour.
- Add drained rasins and apricots.
- Simmer on low heat until the chicken begins to pull away from the bone, about another 1/2 hour.
- Uncover and add the spinach, let wilt while stiring into the sauce.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks with lemon juice.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and stir into the sauce until it forms a creamy consistencey (don't cream the spinach, just stir everything together), coating chicken pieces with sauce.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This is a very good way to prepare the chicken. The spinach and egg/lemon make a lovely sauce. My only criticism is that it lacks 'oomph' -- it needs more than just salt and pepper but something more. After tasting, I added some kalamata olives. Next time, I will add some cumin as well.