The sauce from this dish can be used with enchiladas or burritos, just cook down a bit before using. When I made this recipe I added in about 3/4 cup salsa to the sauce when cooking. The sauce from this is just delicious and is low-fat too. This has become one of our favorite chicken dishes, my family loves this! Add in large chunks of zucchini also if desired and if you prefer more heat add in a chopped jalapeno or increase the crushed chili flakes. This can also be made in a crockpot with great results. If you are planning to make more than 6 pieces of chicken then double the sauce recipe. You will love this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (preferably Mexican-style)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 fresh garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon corn syrup (can use brown sugar)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 chicken pieces (skin on or off or use just chicken breasts)
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1 large onion (sliced thin or chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsley chopped
- 1In a blender puree the stewed tomatoes, orange juice, broth, chili powder, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, corn syrup and cumin; set aside.
- 2In a large skillet (I use my electric frypan for this) heat oil over high heat.
- 3Season chicken with salt and pepper on all sides.
- 4Brown in hot oil about 5 minutes on each side.
- 5Add in sliced onion, chili flakes, and green pepper and the sauce from blender, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes (turning over once).
- 6If desired remove the chicken when cooked and simmer the sauce and veggies longer, then just return the chicken to sauce.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve with rice or hot cooked noodles.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Delicious Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.1
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 354.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: