Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
Perfect for Rosh Hashana and the other High Holidays.
- 1 large chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 1⁄3 cup date honey or 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons date spread
- 100 g dried dates
- 100 g almonds
- 100 g raisins
- Preheat the oven to medium-high.
- Clean and dry the chicken.
- Marinate in the red wine for up to 2 hours.
- Mix the silan with the date spread.
- Pit the dried dates.
- Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Mix the dried dates and raisins with the almonds.
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking pan.
- Spread the date honey mixture all over and under the pieces.
- Make sure the mixture penetrates the pockets between the chicken and its skin.
- Toss the fruit/almond mixture over the chicken.
- Pour on the leftover wine marinade.
- Place the chicken in the oven.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, then turn the pieces over.
- Continue baking until the chicken is ready and golden, approximately 45 minutes.
I couldn't get the date honey but regular honey worked just fine. We used more red wine than called for in the recipe.