1/1 Photo of Chicken With Dates and Moroccan Spices
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Medjool dates work well in this braise, which should be served with enough couscous to soak up the delicious juices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs shallots, peeled
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more if you like)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 dates, pitted, halved
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and flour. Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add half of chicken pieces to pot and cook until browned on all sides, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to baking sheet or platter; repeat with remaining chicken.
- 3Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot and discard. Reduce heat to medium. Add shallots to pot; saute until golden, about 6 minutes.
- 4Add cinnamon sticks, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 5Increase heat to high; add broth and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until shallots begin to soften, about 18 minutes.
- 6Place chicken pieces atop shallots in pot. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until juices run clear when thickest part of drumstick is pierced with knife, about 25 minutes.
- 7Transfer chicken and shallots to platter; tent with foil. Boil juices in pot until slightly thickened. Stir in dates and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 8Reduce heat and simmer gently until dates are heated through, about 2 minutes. Pour sauce and dates over chicken. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro, serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Dates and Moroccan Spices
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 169.4 mg
- Sodium 242.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 63.2 g