Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a fragrant Moroccan flavoured recipe for chicken, simmered with dates, honey and lemon. As it can easily be made in advance and reheated, it's a dish that doesn't require precise timing. It's delicious enough to become a year round tradition.
- 2 large chicken, cut into quarters
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 lb dates, pitted and halved lengthwise
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- Season the chicken parts with salt and a generous amount of pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the chicken in batches, and brown on all sides over high heat.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and return the chicken to the skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Skim the fat from the surface.
- Add the dates, lemon juice and saffron and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with some of the sauce and dates.