Recipe by Jewelies
Another recipe from a very old cookbook that my Grandmother gave me on a visit to Australia.
Top Review by I'mPat
SUPERB on Jewelies and Kookas suggestion I added 1.5 cups sliced button mushrooms, in step 3 instead of drainiing the excess butter I sauted the mushrooms, removed them and put in the water, wine (Wolf Blass red label chardonnay), Port (Brown Brothers Reserve) and 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder and continued as per recipe. When I put the cream in I added the mushrooms. I used 6 x 150gm breasts and the cooking time was perfect for those, so some adjustment may be needed if cooking larger breasts. Served with mashed potatoe and steamed veg. and DH has requested WHEN I MAKE AGAIN to serve peas and corn too and not to forget the dinner rolls. Thank you to Jewelies and her grandmother for providing this recipe.
- 8 chicken breast fillets
- plain flour, to coat
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 g butter
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine or 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup port wine or 1⁄3 cup grape juice
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup thickened cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss chicken in seasoned flour, shake away excess flour.
- Heat butter in pan, add chicken, cook on both sides until lightly browned.
- Drain excess butter from pan, add water, wine, port and stock cube, bring to the boil, simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan, keep warm.
- Bring sauce to the boil, simmer, uncovered , for about 5 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Stir in cream, return chicken to pan, cook until chicken is heated through.