Chicken With Creamy Mushroom Sherry Sauce
- To prepare the chicken for cooking, slice breasts into 6 equal sized pieces. If using 2 large breasts, cut them into thirds. If using small breasts cut them in half. Pat dry with a paper towel and season with half the salt and the fresh ground back pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the chicken and brown on both/ all sides -- about 10 minutes. Lower heat if the fond in pan starts to turn too dark. Take chicken off heat and tent with foil after this step.
- Add sliced onion and mushrooms to the pan with a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil and cook over medium heat until soft -- about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant stirring constantly -- 1 minute.
- To make a roux for the sauce, add 1 tablespoon of flour to the pan and stir over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, then stir in sherry and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly and scraping any bits of fond from the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly stir in the milk and the rest of the salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes still over medium-low heat until the sauce is bubbly. The sauce can be a bit runny still at this point. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Add the chicken to the sauce along with any collected juices. Cook partially covered until the chicken has completed cooking, stirring every few minutes -- 5 to 10 minutes. An instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the breast pieces should read 165 to 170.