Recipe by jonesies
Taken from the Light & Tasty magazine. Posted for safe keeping until I give it a try.
Top Review by VoijaRisa
I was a bit leery about trying something that tried to combine cream and apples, but I wasn't displeased with the results. Unfortunately, this wasn't near creamy enough for my taste, despite using half & half instead of milk. I also don't have an apple peeler, so I just tossed in chunks. Now I realize that the softened apple is what helps thicken the sauce. Hopefully, now that I've tried things, I can get it right next time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups apples, peeled & sliced (McIntosh)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides; remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the broth, tarragon, pepper and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add apples and reserved chicken.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir in remaining milk.
- Add to skillet; bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over chicken; sprinkle with parsley.