1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a somewhat time consuming recipe but makes a tender, juicy chicken. I varied a recipe used for pork and made several roasting chickens this way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- 2Remove chicken giblets.
- 3Rinse away the chicken blood using cold water.
- 4Salt and pepper the damp chicken inside and out.
- 5Using medium-high heat, warm the oil and butter in a large oven-proof pan.
- 6When oil is hot, brown the chicken on all sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- 7Place about half of the chopped onion inside the chicken cavity and completely cover the pan (aluminum foil works fine).
- 8Place covered pan inside oven and bake about 25-30 minutes.
- 9While the chicken is baking, put the water and sugar into an uncovered sauce pan.
- 10Stir and heat until"syrup" begins to boil.
- 11Add all the cranberries and heat on medium setting until boiling begins, making a cranberry sauce.
- 12Stir occasionally.
- 13Reduce heat to simmer and let cook.
- 14When chicken has finished baking remove lid and spoon out as much fat as possible.
- 15Leave chicken juices in pan.
- 16Place on low heat.
- 17Add cranberry sauce, chicken broth, and the rest of the chopped onions.
- 18Once the sauce begins to boil reduce heat to simmer.
- 19Turn the chicken over about every 10 to 15 minutes.
- 20Baste often and reduce sauce until it thickens (about 30-45 minutes).
- 21Add chopped mushrooms and continue cooking/basting about another 10 minutes.
- 22Sauce should be thick enough to coat a spoon.
- 23Serve hot and place enough sauce over chicken.
- 24Extra sauce can be added to rice, potatoes, or other side dish.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken with Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 681.1
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 122.2 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 27.2 g