Recipe by Mirj
I had this at a Moroccan restaurant once, and they refused to give me the recipe. I made it up on my own, and it’s practically identical.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can artichoke heart, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, heat the oil over high heat until hot.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning, until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook the chicken for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and drain off all the fat and liquid from the pan.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring, until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the garlic, water, couscous, garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts, lemon juice and pepper.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce to medium low.
- Place the chicken on top of the couscous mixture.
- Cover and cook for another 20 minutes, or until the chicken is very tender and cooked through.