Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Couldn't resist posting this recipe from Smart Balance -- the rub sounds so interesting with these warm spices. If you prefer to use boneless, skinless breasts, you will need to adjust the cooking time as boneless breasts take less time to cook and they may dry out.
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb skinless bone-in chicken breast (4 portions)
- nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a heavy-bottom, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Combine rub ingredients, brown sugar through olive oil, in a food processor until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray and place in skillet (with the side that has the skin removed facing down). Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and flip chicken and coat the browned side with cocoa mixture. Place skillet in oven and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 more minutes.
We are split on the stars 5 for flavor and 3 for dryness, split is 4 stars.
The coca rub makes a very nice sweet and spice crust for the chicken. We loved the flavors and I loved the easy, only drawback was I baked the full twenty minutes and the chicken was dry. Next time might try a quicker sear and keeping the baking time down to the minimum 15 minutes. Thanks for the post.