Recipe by rpgaymer
A unique-tasting dish that combines the flavors of clementines and basil with the natural creaminess of avocado. I like to add spinach to this, but not always. It definitely looks prettier on the plate without the spinach, but the added nutrition is always a plus.
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, & chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 clementines, sliced & peeled
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine avocado, basil, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Start cooking the pasta according to your package's directions.
- Lightly pound the chicken into 1/8" thick cutlets, then season both sides evenly with salt and pepper.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cutlets and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in the pan, then add the shallots and sautee for about 1 minute. Sprinkle sugar over the shallots and cook undisturbed until it is melted and golden, or about another minute.
- Stir in clementine slices, water, white wine vinegar, & red pepper. Scrape the pan for about 30 seconds, then lower the heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. (If you are using the spinach, add it right after this step and stir the sauce until the leaves have wilted.).
- Drain the pasta, but don't rinse it. Put the pasta in the bowl holding the avocado mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Serve chicken over pasta and top with clementine sauce.