A unique-tasting dish that combines the flavors of clementines and basil with the natural creaminess of avocado. I like to add spinach to this, but not always. It definitely looks prettier on the plate without the spinach, but the added nutrition is always a plus.
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, & chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 clementines, sliced & peeled
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine avocado, basil, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- Start cooking the pasta according to your package's directions.
- Lightly pound the chicken into 1/8" thick cutlets, then season both sides evenly with salt and pepper.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cutlets and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in the pan, then add the shallots and sautee for about 1 minute. Sprinkle sugar over the shallots and cook undisturbed until it is melted and golden, or about another minute.
- Stir in clementine slices, water, white wine vinegar, & red pepper. Scrape the pan for about 30 seconds, then lower the heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. (If you are using the spinach, add it right after this step and stir the sauce until the leaves have wilted.).
- Drain the pasta, but don't rinse it. Put the pasta in the bowl holding the avocado mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Serve chicken over pasta and top with clementine sauce.
I've never come across an avocado with seeds...
I love recipes that are healthy and tasty! It doesn't look very pretty, but I loved the flavors and we did add the spinach. I also used quinoa pasta instead of the penne. Eating healthy has helped me loose 40 pounds, and dishes like this are definitely part of my plan! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.
Delicious and healthy. The flavor combinations are creative and work really well! Judging from the photo, I did two things differently: I mashed my avocado instead of leaving it cubed and I peeled the clementines before slicing. Either way, the recipe is fabulous. I didn't add the optional spinach since I had some mixed in with our salad already, but I think that would be a great addition. Thank you for posting! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.