Recipe by Outta Here
Serve with naan bread and Aloo Gobi (several recipes posted on the site).
Top Review by rpgaymer
A great curry recipe! The sauce is flavorful and delicious, and the chicken turned out tender and juicy. The almonds gives the curry a unique earthy flavor, I think. I removed the skins from the thighs, and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Also, instead of cream, I whisked together a 1/3 cup of coconut milk and a 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt. This really tasted even better the next day.
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1⁄3 cup blanched almond
- 2 onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 green chilies, stemmed and coarsely chopped (hot or mild to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 7 tablespoons oil (or ghee)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind almonds in a food processor. Put in bowl and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, chiles and ginger to food processor and finely chopped, but not pureed.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and add onion mixture and cinnamon stick. Stir until onions are lightly browned. Add chicken thighs to pan and fry, turning constantly, for 10 minutes, or until golden on all sides.
- Add coriander, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper to pan and stir with the chicken for about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water, stirring chicken for another 5 minutes over medium heat. Add another 2/3 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add three-quarters of the cilantro to the chicken and stir.
- Mix the almonds with 1/2 cup of the cream stir to form to a smooth paste. Add to the chicken, stir well and cook until heated through. Just before serving, remove cinnamon stick and stir in remaining cream and sprinkle with remaining cilantro.