Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Mexican Recipe for World Tour 2006. I tasted in a friend's house a long time ago and I liked.
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, in pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 2 tablespoons almonds, in quarters
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 100 g unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a pot heat the olive oil, add the garlic then brown the chicken breasts. Remove the chicken and reserve.
- Put in the pot the onion, the pepper and the tomatoes. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add the chili, the cacao, the spices, the almonds, the sugar, the zest and the orange juice. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and the rum. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken in a casserole dish and then add the sauce from the pot.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes.
Yum. I served this with a simple salsa (tomato, corn, capsicum, spring onion & lemon juice) and corn tortillas. The flavours of the orange & chocolate dominate. Initially I thought the rum may have been too much but after cooking the strong rum flavour subsided. The finished dish is a little on the sweet side for me but the chili helps with that. The recipe didn't specify but I used a large red chili finely chopped to make the quantity needed. I have eaten this 2 days in succession and the flavour improved with age.