Excellent one pot dish! The chicken tastes amazing and the saffron rice and chickpeas make for a hearty meal. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma catalog.
- 1 lb chicken
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, italian seasoning, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Brown chicken for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to plate. Discard fat; wipe out pot.
- In the same pot over medium heat; warm 1 tablespoon oil. Cook onion, bell pepper, saffron and red pepper flakes about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add sherry; cook 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and juices. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add rice, chickpeas, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to simmer.
- Cover; bake in oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Let stand 10 minute before serving.