Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Wonderful with rice. This is a Clay Cookery recipe, but I think with an adjustment to oven temperature, you could use conventional cooking.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (meaty)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1⁄2 can chicken broth (regular strength)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Soak top and bottom of clay cooker in water 15 minutes; drain.
- Coat chicken pieces with mixture of flour, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Combine celery, onion and garlic in cooker. Top with chicken and green chilies. Pour in chicken broth.
- Place covered cooker in cold oven. Set oven to 450 degrees. Bake, stirring once or twice, until chicken is tender and brown, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker. Skin and discard fat from cooking liquid in cooker.
- Stir sour cream into cooking liquid until smooth.
- Return chicken to sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts and browns, about 10 minutes.
- Wonderful with rice.
Easy and Yummy. I doubled the flour and spices. After coating the chicken I browned in oil on top of the stove. I added the left over flour and spices to the broth. I also added a can of Rotel tomatos with chili's.I cooked in a ceramic casserole dish with a lid at 450 for same amount of time. Chicken was so tender it fell off the bone.
Oh MY GOODNESS!! This is such a good combo of flavors! I baked this in a glass casserole, and made a few substitutions: used thigh filets from Sam's, doubled the flour, threw the flour mixture in a ziplock and shook it, threw it in a hot pan and seared it a little. No real veggies, just onion powder, garlic powder and celery salt (guessed on the amounts - maybe 1/3 t. each). Used chicken bullion w/ hot water, and mixed in the sour cream and poured it over the chicken after putting it in the casserole dish. Baked at 370 for 45 minutes and then put the cheese on top, let it sit covered for 10 minutes or so. This was SO GOOD and EASY!! Certainly a KEEPER...hubby gave it a 10!