Recipe by Tonkcats
Wonderful with rice. This is a Clay Cookery recipe, but I think with an adjustment to oven temperature, you could use conventional cooking.
Top Review by Virginia Chandler
Easy and Yummy. I doubled the flour and spices. After coating the chicken I browned in oil on top of the stove. I added the left over flour and spices to the broth. I also added a can of Rotel tomatos with chili's.I cooked in a ceramic casserole dish with a lid at 450 for same amount of time. Chicken was so tender it fell off the bone.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (meaty)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1⁄2 can chicken broth (regular strength)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak top and bottom of clay cooker in water 15 minutes; drain.
- Coat chicken pieces with mixture of flour, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Combine celery, onion and garlic in cooker. Top with chicken and green chilies. Pour in chicken broth.
- Place covered cooker in cold oven. Set oven to 450 degrees. Bake, stirring once or twice, until chicken is tender and brown, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker. Skin and discard fat from cooking liquid in cooker.
- Stir sour cream into cooking liquid until smooth.
- Return chicken to sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts and browns, about 10 minutes.
- Wonderful with rice.