Recipe by Chef floWer
A Chinese type of Chicken with Cashews recipe. I added less peanut oil when I was stir-frying as I thought six tablespoons was a bit to much. I used chicken liquid stock instead of water to give the recipe more flavour. I use bean sprout instead bamboo shoots (personal taste) however I think you could add any vegetables you wish without dramatically altering the flavour. When I make this again I would add cashews to the wok to allow them to warm a little instead of sprinkling them at the end. The recipe said the yields is four servings but we had small servings for three people. This recipe is from 'Cooking with Love' by Friends of Karen, Inc Does not include marinating time.
Top Review by Peter J
Super tasty and quick! The cornflour in the marindade helps the flavour really stick and also locks in the moistness. Only changes I made to suit what I had on hand was to use baby corn instead of bamboo shoots and a variety of different colours of capsicum. As suggested in the intro I warmed the cashews by putting them in with the vegies at the end, they soaked up a great flavour from the hoisin etc so it's a really worthwhile step.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 6 tablespoons corn oil or 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green peppers or 1⁄2 cup green capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl add soy sauce, water, cornstarch and oil to form the marinade. Mix well until the cornstarch as dissolved.
- Add to the marinate chopped chicken breasts, mix well cover and marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Heat oil in Wok until hot, add bamboo shoots and green capsicum. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Remove bamboo shoots and green capsicum with slotted spoon or any spoon which drains the oil back into the wok.
- Drain marinate and add chicken to the wok. Quickly toss and turn.
- When chicken is cooked or slightly brown add hoisin sauce. Continue to toss.
- Return vegetables to work.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle the cashew nuts.