Recipe by LifeIsGood
This is a Food and Wine staff favorite. This very flavorful recipe contains very common Middle Eastern ingredients. I would serve this with couscous. Recipe courtesy of Grace Parisi. Enjoy!
Top Review by Annacia
So good! I didn't have herb marinated olives so just used a mix of Kalamata, almond stuffed green and black olives. My option of choice was the thighs. This delivered a lot of yummy flavor that was so nice over Basmati rice. An excellent dinner choice that was well enjoyed.
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into 1/2 inch strips (or skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lemon, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, very thinly sliced (preferably on a mandoline)
- 3 large garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup mixed herb-marinated pitted olive (3 ounces)
- chopped roasted almonds, for serving
- couscous, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat 2 T. of olive oil, over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken to the heated skillet, in a single layer. Cook chicken, turning once, until it is browned but not fully cooked through. This should take about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate, trying to leave as much oil in the skillet as possible.
- Add the lemon to the skillet in a single layer. Cook them, turning once, until browned on both sides - about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 2 T. olive oil, the carrots and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until carrots are just slightly soft - this should take about 2 minutes. Add the water and cook until carrots are crisp tender and the liquid has evaporated - this should take about 2 minutes. Stir in the cumin, paprika and cinnamon and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Return chicken to the skillet, and any accumulated juices. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, olives and seson with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through - this should take about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl and sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve with couscous.