Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an amazingly delicious dish that is actually good for dieters.
- cooking spray
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion; cover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Combine salt and next 3 ingredients; stir well.
- Sprinkle half of spice mixture over onions; add 1/4 cup chicken broth, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 tablespoons broth, and cook until liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons broth; cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add vinegar, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Remove onion mixture from skillet; set aside, and keep warm.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
- Rub chicken with remaining spice mixture.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken; cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Serve chicken with caramelized onion mixture.
This was really good. I think reducing the balsamic vinegar to 1/8 cup would let some of the other wonderful flavors come through a little more. The onions were a little potent. The chicken was very tasty and I like the spice mixture on it. Thanks for a great dinner Mirj!
The onions took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort. This was a delicious dish.