1/3 Photos of Chicken With Calvados (Crock Pot)
8 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is based on one from Lou Seibert Pappas’ cookbook, Extra-Special Crockery Pot Recipes. She says, “The Normandy Section of France is noted for this succulent chicken entrée. It calls for apply brandy, a specialty of the region.” This is absolutely fantastic served over rice, pasta or with a crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large broiler-fryer chicken (or 4 breast halves and 4 thighs)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh herbs, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1Wash chicken. Cut into serving pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Heat large frying pan over medium heat, add butter, and sauté chicken until nicely browned. Season with salt and pepper. Pour Calvados over chicken. Carefully ignite using either a long wooden match or long-barreled butane lighter. Spoon pan juices over chicken while flaming. Remove chicken and pan juices to crockery pot.
- 3In medium bowl combine chicken stock base, parsley, herbs and wine. Pour over chicken. Cover. Cook on low (200°F) 6 to 8 hours. Remove chicken to heated platter.
- 4Turn heat to high (300°F). Blend arrowroot with water. Stir into pan juices. Cook on high until mixture thicken and boils. Stir in cream. Heat to serving temperature.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Calvados (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.8
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 208.1 mg
- Sodium 235.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 43.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: