Recipe by Thomas Danler
Here is an easy meal which cooks all day while you're away! It's very healthy, too. Recipe from Healthy Crockery Cookery by Mable Hoffman and sent to you by Betty Copeland.
Top Review by Feisty Cat
Sorry, but I really didn't like this. It was really bland, and I used a ton of fresh ginger and additional soysauce. I admit I've had issues with my crockpot before, but nothing in this cooked right. The chicken was overcooked and the cabbage was undercooked. Also, from the recipe, it sounds like you're supposed to layer everything - cabbage, then onions, then chicken, then apples, then pour the sauce on. I think that's one of the main problems. Mixing everything up together from the get go might have made a difference, but I won't try it again.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place cabbage in bottom of a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Top with onions, chicken and apples.
- Combine soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes.
- Spoon over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW about 6 hours or until chicken is tender.