1/2 Photos of Chicken With Butternut Squash
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
I found a fabulous recipe here Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta but sadly it did not fit into my diet. So I went to work to see if I could keep the same wonderful flavor while making the recipe a bit healthier! Thank you Texas Ladybug for sharing your fabulous Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta! I give all credit to you! NOTE: Thx Sugasnaps. REwrote the directions to make them more clear!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I use a garlic press)
- 2 lbs butternut squash (weight before being peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 lb=appx 1.5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 14 ounces nonfat chicken broth (If your can or box is smaller you can add some water and bullion)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan using medium high heat .
- 2Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- 3Add onion to pan and saute until it becomes tender. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds or til the garlic releases its aroma.Do not brown the garlic or it will become bitter.
- 4Add squash, thyme and rosemary and saute for 8 to 10 minutes and squash just begins to soften a little.
- 5Add broth to the squash mix and bring to a bubble. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release (deglaze) all the yummy browned bits. Decrease heat to medium and simmer (a slow bubble) until the squash is tender. stirring occasionally.
- 6If the liquid has not reduced and the squash is as tender as you like, turn the heat up and cook harder til sauce is at the thickness you want. Liquid should be reduced by about half.
- 7Serve over pasta preferably, whole grain or brown rice.
- 8Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and garnish each serving with freshly grated parmesan if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Butternut Squash
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 548.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 27.5 g