Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found a fabulous recipe here Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta but sadly it did not fit into my diet. So I went to work to see if I could keep the same wonderful flavor while making the recipe a bit healthier! Thank you Texas Ladybug for sharing your fabulous Butternut Squash and Chicken Pasta! I give all credit to you! NOTE: Thx Sugasnaps. REwrote the directions to make them more clear!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I use a garlic press)
- 2 lbs butternut squash (weight before being peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 lb=appx 1.5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 14 ounces nonfat chicken broth (If your can or box is smaller you can add some water and bullion)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan using medium high heat .
- Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add onion to pan and saute until it becomes tender. Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds or til the garlic releases its aroma.Do not brown the garlic or it will become bitter.
- Add squash, thyme and rosemary and saute for 8 to 10 minutes and squash just begins to soften a little.
- Add broth to the squash mix and bring to a bubble. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release (deglaze) all the yummy browned bits. Decrease heat to medium and simmer (a slow bubble) until the squash is tender. stirring occasionally.
- If the liquid has not reduced and the squash is as tender as you like, turn the heat up and cook harder til sauce is at the thickness you want. Liquid should be reduced by about half.
- Serve over pasta preferably, whole grain or brown rice.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and garnish each serving with freshly grated parmesan if desired.
This recipe concept is really fantastic. But, the writing of this recipe left a lot to be desired. Please re-write it! I made this only I didn't use the cumin or tarragon, I used rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper to taste and as I didn't have any chicken broth handy I used a 1/3 cup of sherry, and the remainder of the liquid was water. It was really, really quite delicious. The directions actually are sort of confusing as they first say to put olive oil into a pan sprayed with cooking oil. err? So, I just used the olive oil and followed step 1 exactly. Careful with your garlic so it doesn't burn (this will turn it bitter). So, on concept this one would get 5 stars... but on writeup it is a bit confusing as the written directions don't have tarragon or thyme in it. I omitted the cumin all together. This, however, was soooo very tasty once it was all done. So, give it a try and just season it the way you want to season it. Then it will be the 5 stars it deserves.
This was bland and tasteless.
Yum! I found it easier to microwave the squash for 5 minutes before putting it into the pan, used approx. 1 1/2c chicken broth (you need to cook the squash for le6-8 minutes v. the 12-15 this actually takes, so it doesn't reduce much) and just put the chicken right into the stock with the squash. <br/>I also used Mrs. Dash to replace the spices, as I couldn't find my rosemary. Definitely made it easier and the flavor a bit fuller. Great recipe, thanks for sharing the foundation!