1 hr 5 mins
A tasty middle-eastern style recipe, and one of my favorite ways to fix chicken!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) frying chickens, cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur (quick cooking cracked wheat)
- 1/2 cup dried currant
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Mix together the salt, cinnamon, allspice, and pepper; rub mixture into chicken (you can remove the skin from the chicken, if you like).
- 3In a heavy, wide frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning, until all sides are browned.
- 5Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside; discard the pan drippings but do not wipe out the pan.
- 6Melt the butter in the pan you cooked the chicken in; add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft.
- 7Add the uncooked bulgur and currants and stir to coat well with butter.
- 8Spread the bulgur mixture in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan; place the chicken pieces on top.
- 9Pour the water, then the broth, over the chicken.
- 10Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until juices run clear and bulgur has absorbed all liquid.
- 11Garnish with sprinkled parsley and mint and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken with Bulgur
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1164.4
- Calories from Fat 640
- Total Fat 71.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 286.6 mg
- Sodium 960.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 73.5 g