Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a tried and true recipe I've made for years and one of my favourites both for ease and very few dishes to wash. It's also a family favourite and it is time to get it written down so I don't forget how to make it :). Even my non-broccoli kids will eat this one. It's really lovely served with egg noodles.
- 15 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 284 ml cheddar cheese soup
- 125 ml chicken broth
- 250 ml broccoli florets
- 125 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 80 -125 ml half-and-half cream (optional)
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with sea salt & fresh ground pepper.
- Cut chicken into strips or cubes, your preference.
- Preheat a large heavy fry pan or electric fry pan to medium high.
- Heat oil in pan, lightly brown meat, remove from pan (I use the lid of my electric fry pan, it's deep enough and less dishes too :D ).
- Saute minced garlic for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pan (you can substitute milk for a lower fat content) and deglaze chicken bits from bottom of pan.
- Add can of cheddar cheese soup and stir well.
- Stir in chicken pieces and broccoli florets (if using frozen, thaw broccoli and save until last 5 minutes of simmer time).
- Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (remember to add the thawed broccoli after 15 minutes if using frozen).
- Uncover pan, increase heat to medium, stir in shredded swiss cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes, reducing sauce. You can also add 80- 125 ml (1/3 to 1/2 cup) of half an half at this point for a creamier sauce).
- Serve over noodles or rice.
This is an awesome dish!!!! I made with frozen broccoli and cubed the chicken and it was delicious. Made for ZWT7. Thanks Just_Ducky!! for a great recipe.
What a delightful EASY meal. The cheesy goodness matches perfectly with pasta and it was comfort food on a plate! I cubed the chicken, used fresh broccoli, and opted to add an onion and fresh mushrooms. Served with a green salad and made for ZWT7. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :-)