Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Boneless chicken breasts with a simple rich pan sauce. Extremely fast and easy to make using a basic pan sauce technique.
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt
- Trim fat from chicken breast halves.
- Cut breast sections in half so that you have four roughly equal pieces.
- Take a gallon zip top bag and cut the two edges open so that the sides are only joined at the bottom edge of the bag.
- Place breast sections in bag one at a time and pound flat with a mallet or a flat heavy object until chicken pieces are only 1/4 to 1/2" thick.
- Season breast sections on both sides with 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Heat a frying or sauté pan to medium/medium high heat. Do NOT use a non-stick pan. You can't make decent pan sauces with Teflon. I prefer a stainless steel pan but cast iron would work (preferably enamel coated cast iron).
- Put flour in a bowl and press breast pieces into it to coat chicken fully.
- Add olive oil to pan and let it come up to temperature. It should only take a couple of seconds.
- Add breast sections. Brown the chicken to a golden brown then flip and do the same on the other side. It should only take roughly 3 minutes per side or you have the chicken too thick. Do not crowd the pan. If you have to cook the chicken in batches keep the first batch warm by wrapping in aluminum foil.
- While chicken is frying, chop Italian parsley to 1/8 cup.
- Remove the last batch of chicken from the pan and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Turn up heat under pan to medium high and add chicken broth. If pan is hot enough, the broth will boil immediately. Use a wooden spoon to scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. This is where all the flavor is.
- Add brandy, lemon juice and remaining black pepper and then reduce liquid by 1/2.
- Reduce heat to low and add butter and parsley. Stir in butter until sauce is smooth.
- Place chicken pieces on plates and then pour the pan sauce over the chicken. Don't drown it.
Very light, tasty meal.