Recipe by Sackville
A great dish for your next chinese feast! It is mildly spicy and goes great with just about anything.
Top Review by Chef Thurlow
I tried this recipe last night, exactly as is, and it was wonderful. The only question I had was the mention of Soya in the instructions, but no mention of soya in the ingredients list. I went with a guess and used 1 tbsp. It turned out fantastic. Even my kids loved it and they're a pretty fussy bunch. I would make this again in a heartbeat. Excellent!
- 5 chicken breasts, skinned cut into strips
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornflour
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons canned black beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 cm ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon chinese chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the egg whites and cornflour and then coat the chicken in that mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the coated chicken until golden and cooked through.
- Drain the oil from the pan.
- Blend together the black beans, garlic, ginger, chilli sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, sherry, oyster sauce and sugar for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour in the pan and heat gently until it boils.
- Stir in the water, stock cube and cornflour.
- Add that into the sauce and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Toss the chicken in the pan to coat.
- When done, sprinkle with the shallots and red pepper.