Recipe by FlemishMinx
Belgian Endive is a slightly bitter vegetable, but delicious to those who acquire the taste. I realize it is rather expensive in the US, but "cheap as chips" here in Belgium !
Top Review by Mimi Bobeck
I made this for a game called "Zaartag" This was Absoultey delish! Makes the whole house smell wonderful and is actually pretty easy to make. I highly recommend everyone try this. Thanks Flemishminx for sharing a great recipe!
- 1 large whole chicken
- 2 lbs Belgian endive
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- flour, for dusting chicken
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into serving pieces.
- Salt and pepper pieces, and dust with flour.
- Melt butter in a large heavy pot and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Cover the pot and allow the chicken to cook for 45 minutes on a slow fire.
- Cut the endive fine and place around the chicken.
- Removing the inner core of the endive will reduce some of the bitterness.
- Allow to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Check the chicken for doneness (juices should run clear).
- Add the cream and bring again to a simmer, briefly.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving.