Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from the Cooking Pleasures magazine. This is a quick-cooking saute making it ideal for a weekday meal. Also, uses 1 skillet so clean-up is a breeze. The simple glaze is reduced to give the dish a sweet-sour taste.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 orange bell pepper, cut into thin stirps
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups fresh spinach (cleaned)
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar, packed
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 1/4 teaspoons of the salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 4 to 6 minutes or until brown, turning once. Cover and reduce heat to medium; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear. Place on plate; loosely cover to keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium-high. To same skillet, add bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until vegetables just begin to soften. Add spinach; sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoons salt. Remove from heat; toss until spinach is barely wilted. Place on serving plates or platter. Top with chicken.
- Return same skillet to high heat. Add vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; boil 30 to 60 seconds or until slightly thickened, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Drizzle balsamic glaze around chicken and vegetables.
Quick and easy -- my kind of recipe! We loved the vegetables and the light glaze. Very fresh taste. Will try 1 t. of agave instead of the brown sugar next time. Will definitely make again.
Great taste, quick and easy!
5 star all the way. I used my large wok, browned the chicken -added the peppers etc with the chicken sitting up on the side of the wok. After 2 minutes added the spinach just for a 1 minutes poured in the balsamic and there it was all ready and delicious A definite do again recipe