This is a Cooking Light recipe with slight changes. I love figs for a snack, and was thrilled to find this fabulous chicken recipe using figs. It is also quick compared to cooking chicken in the oven. I'll definitely make this one again. Fancy enough for a dinner party, easy enough for everyday.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with 1 1/2 tsps thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and keep warm by covering plate with towel or placing in warm oven.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter to skillet.
- Add onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add broth, vinegar, soy sauce and figs.
- Simmer until sauce is reduced to 1 cup (about 3 minutes).
- Add 1 tablespoon thyme and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Cut chicken breasts on the diagonal into slices. Serve sauce over chicken.
We really enjoyed this! Will be making it again for sure. I did add a little more water to make more of a sauce.
This was a great combination of flavors, and so easy to prepare. I used dried thyme, as I didn't have any fresh. Will try it will fresh thyme next time!