Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
I like this served with mashed potatoes, but you could serve it with noodles or rice as well. A green salad makes a great side dish.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 chicken, 4 to 6 pounds,cut up
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (or 1/4 cup dry vermouth plus 1/4 cup water)
- 1⁄2 lb small white mushroom
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions, thawed
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat until crisp.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer it to a 4 to 6 quart Crockpot Pour off all but two teaspoons of fat from the pan.
- Add the chicken and brown over medium-high heat; transfer to the cooker.
- Pour the wine into the pan and deglaze allowing wine to reduce and thicken slighty.
- Add the reduced wine along with the mushrooms, onions, garlic, rosemary and salt to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Transfer the chicken, bacon, and vegetables to a platter; keep warm.
- Pour the sauce into a small saucepan.
- Combine the water and cornstarch; stir it into the sauce.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour over the chicken.
This is one of my all time favorite dishes. It MUST be served with mashed potatoes and I prefer sliced onions to the pearl onions. Wish I could give it more than 5 stars!
This was great, lovely flavours. Only change I made was to use fresh chopped onion. I used this recipe as a pie filling and it got the thumbs up from the entire family.
This was wonderful! I served with mashed potatoes and a fresh veggie. The only change I would make is that I would use boneless breasts and thighs (would still leave the skin on), as the meat is so tender after cooking for so long that some of the smaller bones fell off the pieces and we had to sort through eating some of it. Otherwise, it was a wonderful dish! Will definitely make again with revisions!