Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a delicious meal! In my recipe book, I've put 10/10! Hope you enjoy it too.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 3 carrots, halved crossways, then each half into halves
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthways, then sliced
- 300 g apricots, stoned and quartered
- salt and pepper
- chopped fennel leaves, from the bulb to garnish or herb fennel, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and fry the chicken thighs for 5 – 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and fry for 5 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Stir in all the spices and fry for 1 minute, then add the stock.
- Return the chicken to the casserole together with the carrots and fennel.
- Bring to the boil.
- Stir well, then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove the lid. If there is too much liquid, boil to reduce it slightly.
- Add the apricots to the casserole and stir gently to mix. Simmer over a low heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the fennel leaves and serve with rice or potatoes.